Sync with Six alpha observations

• When sdf

• [color=#000000]

OK, first up - thought I couldn't add text to the "text enter bar" on withSix Community until I eventually realized I was typing in white on white - which was default?!!?  Weird.

On to Sync with Six.
    Icon on Taskbar is the old PWS icon, while icon in systray in new SWS icon. Confusing, especially if people are using both as they migrate (as I am)
    I like that SWS in unobtrusive, but it would be nice for it to remained windowed when focus isn't on it, and for it to minimise to the taskbar instead of auto-closes to the systray. Could it at least appear in the taskbar instead, or have this as a configurable option? (minimise: Auto, to systray, to taskbar or something)
    It would be nice to be able to resize the SWS window, as when  browsing "my content" you can only see 3 mods at a time. I have about 50 installed presently.

Will add more observations when I start putting more collections in or work out how to migrate collections from PWS.

Cheers,

~Z~
    [/color]

• [color=#ff0000](And now after changing the typing text to black so I can see it on the entry window, it publishes against an almost black background! Hard to see, or is that a setting my end somehow?)[/color]

• [color=#ff0000]When creating a collection on the web interface, it isn't obvious how to name it instead of "unnamed playlist", either in the web interface or in the sws program. Infact I can't work this out.

Several times already I've gone to switch from "Launch MP" to "Launch SP" and accidentally launched the game with no mods selected. Maybe make this a toggle, not an actual launch button, and have an entry in the collection list for "vanilla Arma - no mods" or something?

The "Play" button by each collection in SWS could this be colour sensitive showing which mods are up-to-date? i.e. green if ready to go, orange if not up-to-date etc?

The homepage on the web interface says "Updates Available 10" but no way to know what 10 they are, or selectively update only some.

[/color]S

• [color=#ff0000]Now I've tried the Update all mods button on the web interface, I get error while trying to "API action: InstallContents". No other activity on PWS or SWS at the time.

It seems that the Collections section of "my library" on the web interface is locked now? ("Request failed - authorization has been denies")

Also the Friends and Messages tab on My Home are Authorization denied.

[/color]In the SWS program, it seems just clicking the down arrow to switch between SP and MP seems to launch Arma.

• [color=#ff0000]Web interface - Collections. When I search, it auto-completes, which is nice, but it forces you to select only one result. E.g. I searched for collections from my old clan =SO=. [/color]
    [color=#ff0000]Auto-complete shows me a drop down option of 6 collections, but it's not obvious how to browse all the results. Pressing enter just shows you the highlighted one. Pressing the Search magnifying glass does nothing. [/color]
    [color=#ff0000]You have to click elsewhere on the webpage, not on or near the search box to actually get the results of your search - not very intuitive![/color]

[color=#ff0000]I started installing a collection from the web interface then changed my mind. I couldn't work out how to cancel the install from the web interface, even though there was a progress bar. I had to switch to SWS and press the small red x. As SWS hides itself, I imagine users won't be able to find this easily.[/color]

[color=#ff0000]Browsing My Library - collections. There are lots just marked "collection" and no way to see what each contains, renaming them or deleting them. 
    update: ok you can click to add it to playlist and browse them in that tiny window. Still can't name it, and to remove them you need to do each individually. Needs an 'empty playlist' button.

The list of playlists at the bottom right of the web interface doesn't seem to corrolate with what is in SWS or in my collections at all.

[/color][color=#00ff00]Friends and Message tab in My Home fixed :)
    [/color]
    [color=#00ff00]By the Way - I appreciate this is Alpha and you are still building it! Don't take my comments as complaints, they are just to highlight to you bits that still need attention![/color]
    hios It

• withSIX

First of all thank you very much for the detailed feedback, I will try to respond to all your points as best as I can.

[quote]Icon on Taskbar is the old PWS icon, while icon in systray in new SWS icon. Confusing, especially if people are using both as they migrate (as I am)
    I like that SWS in unobtrusive, but it would be nice for it to remained windowed when focus isn't on it, and for it to minimise to the taskbar instead of auto-closes to the systray. Could it at least appear in the taskbar instead, or have this as a configurable option? (minimise: Auto, to systray, to taskbar or something)
    It would be nice to be able to resize the SWS window, as when  browsing "my content" you can only see 3 mods at a time. I have about 50 installed presently.[/quote]Coming from PwS as a client driven platform, I can fully understand the desire to have a new client that is equally powerful and flexible. Even though our client design is far from finished, it is not our goal to make the client a primary experience for the user. Rather we think of the client as a backup. The main purpose of the client is to facilitate the download/updates and to launch the game with the desired content.

We are currently working on an entirely new library system that will allow you to fully control all your content and collections.

Here is a little preview of the new home area and the library. This should give you an impression of how you will be able to interact will your mods directly via the web interface:

[url=https://trello-attachments.s3.amazonaws.com/55d20238e3fe0378af7c02c9/1280x1040/f47f3ce7687fb71ace27b943d5a3a816/Library_v4.png]Home (Library home page)[/url]
    [url=https://trello-attachments.s3.amazonaws.com/55d20238e3fe0378af7c02c9/1280x1040/f222542cac4da1e53af8c2f10714c656/Library_v44.png]Library (Collection section)[/url]

The client interface is indeed too small to allow you to filter, search and list all your content and collections or edit them properly. It will however show you your recent items and allow you to quickly launch them.

[quote][color=#000000]When creating a collection on the web interface, it isn't obvious how to name it instead of "unnamed playlist", either in the web interface or in the sws program. Infact I can't work this out.[/color][/quote]
    The Playlist and action bar interface is currently not up to date on production. It will be updated in the next days. As the playlist indeed allows you to quickly throw together mods or load your collection into it for quick editing, it is designed to be what it says, a playlist. The main purpose is to either quickly combine items or load collections to add/remove mods or just play.

Once the interface is complete, the Saving option along with a better design will make the playlist less confusing and quite easy to use.

[quote][color=#000000]Several times already I've gone to switch from "Launch MP" to "Launch SP" and accidentally launched the game with no mods selected. Maybe make this a toggle, not an actual launch button, and have an entry in the collection list for "vanilla Arma - no mods" or something?[/color][/quote]
    [color=#000000]This is indeed a good point. Will make a ticket for this and we will see how we can improve the design, maybe with a switch, to prevent this from happening. Never the less, as mentioned earlier, you will be able to launch all mods and even the game without mods directly from the web interface.

[/color][quote][color=#000000]The "Play" button by each collection in SWS could this be colour sensitive showing which mods are up-to-date? i.e. green if ready to go, orange if not up-to-date etc?[/color][/quote]This actually should be the case. We are using colors for each state:

Black = Client not detected
    [color=#0000ff]Blue[/color] =  Content not installed
    [color=#ff7700]Orange[/color] = Update for content available
    [color=#00ff00]Green[/color] = Content up to date, ready to launch

The action buttons will reflect the state and will show the appropriate action. In the video I made some weeks ago for the announcement you can see the working icons and elements.

[quote]The homepage on the web interface says "Updates Available 10" but no way to know what 10 they are, or selectively update only some.[/quote]This is a case of a test implementation, the function is not actually implemented on production yet. The number will be accurate once it is.

[quote]It seems that the Collections section of "my library" on the web interface is locked now? ("Request failed - authorization has been denies")

Also the Friends and Messages tab on My Home are Authorization denied.[/quote]
    This is something I have to look into, are you logged in on the website when you visited the area ? A gif would help to understand what you did.

[quote]In the SWS program, it seems just clicking the down arrow to switch between SP and MP seems to launch Arma.[/quote]This I can not reproduce, I was clicking on the switch (arrow down) and I could start MP or Sp, will have to look into this.

[quote][color=#000000]Web interface - Collections. When I search, it auto-completes, which is nice, but it forces you to select only one result. E.g. I searched for collections from my old clan =SO=. 
    Auto-complete shows me a drop down option of 6 collections, but it's not obvious how to browse all the results. Pressing enter just shows you the highlighted one. Pressing the Search magnifying glass does nothing. 
    You have to click elsewhere on the webpage, not on or near the search box to actually get the results of your search - not very intuitive![/color][/quote]The filter system indeed needs an update, something that I have noticed my self using the filter for mods. I will make a ticket for this, but I am not sure we will have this improved for the initial release.

[quote]I started installing a collection from the web interface then changed my mind. I couldn't work out how to cancel the install from the web interface, even though there was a progress bar. I had to switch to SWS and press the small red x. As SWS hides itself, I imagine users won't be able to find this easily.[/quote]
    In the development build is a cancel button next to the installation bar, this is currently missing in the production page. It will be obviously added. :)

[quote]Browsing My Library - collections. There are lots just marked "collection" and no way to see what each contains, renaming them or deleting them. 
    update: ok you can click to add it to playlist and browse them in that tiny window. Still can't name it, and to remove them you need to do each individually. Needs an 'empty playlist' button. [/quote]Earlier I mentioned the playlist as the quick edit function. Besides this small tool there will be a full fledged editor too. Basically What you will be able to do is change every aspect of your collections directly on the collection page. You can already visit your collections on the web and open the editor. For now this allows you to edit the meta data, description Name etc. Upon release the "content" tab will allow you not only to see your mods, but also edit them in every way. You can add/ remove mods, import custom repositories, add servers, make mods optional and much more.

There is a drop down menu on the top right of every collection you own with a button called "edit" this will bring you straight to the editor for this collection.

[url=https://trello-attachments.s3.amazonaws.com/55f2b0cd5d4c94cf25cd25e3/1280x1560/e0e648b904bc5064b159742d83dbf715/Library-Collections4.png]Here is a preview of the Editor:[/url]

[quote]The list of playlists at the bottom right of the web interface doesn't seem to corrolate with what is in SWS or in my collections at all. [/quote]The playlist is very much WIP in production this should be getting better soon.

I hope my response helps to clarify some things. Let me know what you think and if we are on the right track :)

• [color=#00ff00]Thanks for taking the time to respond in detail Sonsalt![/color]

[color=#00ff00]I appreciate that it's all still WIP and you haven't come out of Alpha yet. I'm just commenting on what I see on the version I'm on and hope you get something useful out of it.  I'm very keen to see the Library mod and collection editor section in operation - particularly from your screen shot where it looks like anyone can make up Repositories and like directly to their game servers. No more having to have Six Updater on the server to do this![/color]

[color=#00ff00]So most of my comments about the web UI I need to wait and review when you release the full editor to Alpha.[/color]
    [color=#00ff00]I appreciate that the SwS app isn't intended to be viewed/used by most user, but I think you need to ensure that those that do access it, it works well and clearly. So to repeat my points (so we can treat all my previous red comments as resolved), and add more:[/color]

[color=#ff0000]SwS app: active icon is PwS icon, while systray icon is new SwS icon. Needs consistancy.
    SwS app: switching between SP and MP should be a toggle. It's too easy to accidentally launch the game without mods.
    SwS app: Play button for each collection to be colour coded (already planned from your comment).
    SwS app: Installed a new collection, on completion Sws pop up asked if you want to play it now. However is also auto-launched Arma3 without any input!
    SwS app: clicking on the globe "search" then the "connect" tab takes you to a different profile homepage than clicking on your profile picture in SwS.

WebUI: Autocomplete on search isn't intuitive to recieve ALL search results, it forces you to select only one result and display that.

[/color][color=#ff00ff]on another matter - would it be possible to have my main withSix username changed please? It's currently SOzach, but that clan has died. I'd rather just be Zach or Zach72 if possible, but don't want to create a new account![/color][color=#ff0000]
    [/color]

• [color=#00ff00]Oh, and in  reply to "are we on the right track" then Yes!

Although it is not currently in a usable state (as cannot edit or delete mods/collections) I can see how much quicker it is than PwS, and slightly more user friendly (I haven't started on UI usability yet!)  I'm a bit concerned over quality/ownership control of giving such easy 'upload mod' and 'upload collection' buttons - there are already numerous identical collections available. Definitely a move in the right direction for withSix and I hope you hit the ground running and can win back all the PwS customers who moved on over the last few months.

[/color][color=#ff0000]New update for SwS today. Just went to launch a game from SwS, and it now reckons my entire mod collection (44 in this one) needs downloading! Can't see a fix so can't play :([/color]

• [color=#980000]Upgraded to Sync 1.999.0-alpha201510201 today.[/color]

[color=#980000]When I clicked on the SwS App World Icon, it opened the WebUI ok, but when I clicked to Login it spawned a separate window that took ages, and came back with an error. Shutting everything down and starting again it logged me in ok. Thought I should just mention it.[/color]

[color=#980000]WebUI stuff.[/color]

[color=#980000]My initial problem with the webUI is it's not clear how to get to your mod/collections library. Yes, there are 3 ways to get there (that I can find so far) but you have a menu bar where a 'My Library' would be a great addition (see image)[/color]
    [img]http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m113/TA-Zach/Arma3/SwSalpha1_zpsezk99hlt.png[/img]

[color=#980000]Another is each time you switch between "Play" and "Connect", i.e. to view what's available on the withSix network and what you have in your Library, it ask's you what game you want to view. I appreciate that withSix now covers quite a range of games, but can't it remember what game you are currently looking at and stick with that unless you hit a "Top menu" button or something to change active game? PwS always remembers which game I last played, I've only selected Arma3 once in the top left corner. Can we match that ability?[/color]

[color=#00ff00]I'll stop there on the UI until I see the full mod/collection editor version. Keep up the good work![/color]

• withSIX

Thanks a lot Zach, really helpful! We've finally got our framework and low level stuff out of the way so we can fully focus on wrapping up the Beta release,
    expect rapid improvements tomorrow and we'll try to pick up your suggestions, especially considering easier navigation and remembering the game, asap :)

• I figure I'll just add my observations to this thread instead of making a new one.

Screenshots for reference: [url=http://imgur.com/a/YQSBg]http://imgur.com/a/YQSBg[/url]

[list][]Shot 1: Clicking the Sync icon in the bottom left of the website.
    [/
    ][]Shot 2: Clicking the ArmA 3 game after doing the action in Shot 1
    [/
    ][]Shot 3: I had @mod folders named differently from how your network has them. When I renamed them to match the network, the old @mods still show up on the website and in the client. The follower bar appears multiple times due to the screenshot program.[/][]Ability to connect directly to a server?
    [/
    ][]Should more of the settings be controlled from the web, instead of inside the app?
    [/
    ][]Queue doesn't work, placeholder icons there instead. (I'm sure this is intentional)
    [/
    ][]A way to link a collection or playlist to a server for quick lanching from tray tool?
    [/
    ][]The uninstall button can be difficult to get to on the mods page (the page mentioned in shot 3)[/][]I don't see a way to save playlists
    [/
    ][]Collections always want to be 'installed', can't just launch
    [/
    ][]Seems that playlists listed in the bottom right of the website are automatically generated based on collections, can't add more mods to these playlists. You can however add a collection to a blank playlist and then add a mod as well from library.
    [/
    ][]On these forums, when creating/editing a post the area to the left of the red plus button is not clickable.[/][/list]

• withSIX

General
    [list][]We've made major optimizations to our website framwork and deployments, we can deploy very quick and frequent now and the products should be shaping up rapidly now![/][]Many small bug fixes especially to functionality where we check if you're logged in, and/or premium and such.[/][/list]
    Sync / Playlist / Library[list][]The library is now accessible from the Game sections under Play, so you jump directly to the relevant library :)
    [/
    ][]Fixed disabling buttons while actions are busy[/][]Fixed disabling cancel/save buttons on edit collections when no changes made[/][]Implemented missing collection editing panel elements incl scope changing[/][]Styling improvements of Playlist and Edit Collection page[/][]Edit Dependency dialog now has "Optional" checkbox, instead of "Required" (as thats default).[/][]Some other minor stuff.[/][/list]We'll be catering to a proper Changelog from our first official public release :)
    We're also planning to make several optimizations that will make it unnecessary to re-check the collections and playlists on each use.

@waddle is it possible that you were using Sync Alpha some time ago already, which might mean you have broken data in your data store (during the Alpha period we didn't keep to providing data migrations as the data was too volatile at the time).
    In that case please purge your Sync data and start clean. This will not be required once we go Live :)

• withSIX

BTW please switch to the Sync BETA channel instead of ALPHA, as the ALPHA's are actually internal testing builds that contain placeholder views and functionality that are uncertain when and if they appear in a public release :P

• withSIX

The latest Sync beta is available here: [url=http://withsix.com/download?basket=1]http://withsix.com/download?basket=1[/url]

• [color=#ff7700]Thanks for the quick response getting the library accessible from the Game section under Play and auto-selecting game. How about the opposite too now? When in My Library, a "Browse" button on that bar to browse online mods, collections and missions quickly. Maybe context sensitive so if you are in your collections section, browse takes you to the withSix collections etc.

Good to see I can now uninstall Mods from the web UI, but desperately want to edit/delete collections!

Also what is desperately needed is a "Categorize" tick box for mods like in PwS as I have over 100 installed!  Plus a change view setting so instead of having the big 3 tiles across view, you can optionally have a smaller view (using the thumbnail like view from the SwS app) and a list view too - text only.

Can the My Library mod list also have more sort options like the Browser mod list does? E.g. sort by install date, updated date, file size etc.

Is the web UI the same when you run Sync Alpha and Sync Beta? I have both installed at the moment and both link to http://withsix.com/p/Arma-3?basket=1 which looks the same, no different placeholders or anything.
    [/color]

• Here are some new observations as well as a repeat of unresolved observations from the other day, I tried to organize them a bit in perceived importance.

[list][]Collections always want to be 'installed', can't just launch
    [/
    ][]Menu button next to select in the bottom right of playlist sometimes brings up an empty menu. I opened the website via the globe icon in Sync, Menu works. Click settings icon in top right of website. Now menu does not work.
    [/
    ][]I had @mod folders named differently from how your network has them when I installed Sync. When I renamed them to match the network, the old @mods still show up on the website and in the client.
    [/
    ][]Clicking the menu button on a mod and choosing edit, the drop down for version on the next screen does not seem to work.
    [/
    ][]The icon on the bottom left of the playlist that you can click to minimize the playlist sometimes requires three clicks to maximize, expected one.
    [/
    ][]I don't see a way to save or delete playlists
    [/
    ][]Looking at a subscribed collection, all items show install. Expected to behave like User Mods page where Installed items have green highlights, and when moused over these items should not show "Install"
    [/
    ][]Looking at the Play mods (http://withsix.com/p/Arma-3/mods) All items have gray highlights, expected Green on installed items.
    [/
    ][]The uninstall button can be difficult to get to on the library mods page. The white space between the drop down button and Uninstall buttons causes the drop down to disappear, and if you move too fast the mouse hits the next mod in the view before the uninstall button has a chance to re-appear from mousing over it.
    [/
    ][]Ability to connect directly to a server?
    [/
    ][]A way to link a collection or playlist to a server for quick launching/updating/joining from tray tool?
    [/
    ][]Might be nice to be able to link a custom launch parameters line to specific servers/collections/playlists should the above two points be implemented.
    [/
    ][/list]
    Notes:
    [list][]Seems that playlists selectable in the bottom right of the website are automatically generated based on collections, can't add more mods to these playlists. You can however add a collection to a blank playlist and then add a mod as well.
    [/
    ][]I don't think the DLC packs should show up as selectable mods. Selecting them in an otherwise downloaded playlists makes the button switch to Install, which could be confusing.
    [/
    ][/list]

• withSIX

Changelog[list][]You can now edit collections (interface styling is not yet applied); Me->Library->Game->Collections, hover over a Shared Collection (one you published), right up dropdown, edit (we're busy finalizing this now).[/][]Edit Playlist item version is now accessible, can be saved, and will apply when executing the playlist[/][]Create Collection dialog is now also implemented (accessible over either: Stream, Me->Library->Game, and Me->Library->Game->Collections)[/][]Refresh Custom Repository content is implemented too[/][]Buttons now show 'processing..' when busy[/][/list]We're just finalizing our base features and styling, address some more bugs,
    hope to get a public BETA release out soon, and then iterate quickly and swiftly.

@waddle thanks a lot, we're going over the list and try to address things as we go.

• [color=#980000]Cant seem to edit any existing collections as you described. UPDATE: OK, you can only edit new collections made with the new web UI. I have 38 collections all un-named, most empty that I can't edit/delete. Are these ghosts from my PwS collections?

Created a new collection, saw the red flag, wondered "what's this?" It's to report content. There is only a submit button, no cancel or X if you don't want to report the content.

Once the new collection is open in the editor, the search box doesn't work, there are blue boxes around the add button that also doesn't do anything. So can't actually create a new collection yet.  It seems you can select the new collection in the bottom right playlist window,  or at least I could once, but still can't add to it.

Also that bottom right playlist window I've now noticed has a search bar at the top, where I can select a few of my existing collections if I type part of their name in. The + button doesn't do anything, and there is no delete/X button.  However all that selecting a collection seems to do is load it to the bottom left of the UI to install/launch, you still cant edit/delete them.

Adding a description to my new collection, I can see below in the comment section that I need to log in to leave a comment. Odd as I'm logged in!
    [/color]

• withSIX

Changelog
    [list][]Comment section fixed[/][]Improved Playlist layout and behavior[/][]Added version locked indicator for playlist items[/][]Can Save playlists as collections now[/][]Mod/Collection icons in the bar are clickable now[/][]Improved styling of the playlist items[/][]Several fixes for Firefox[/][]Dropdown menu and action bar items now also properly disable while executing actions[/][]Several styling fixes for non-Chrome browsers[/][]Improved Edit-Mode consistency for Collection editing[/][/list]Known issues[list][]Collection auto-complete for the Playlist is currently broken.[/][]Still need to improve the styling details, and some more bug fixes..
    [/
    ][/list]
    Will try to address the other feedback over the weekend, thanks again.

Looks like your connection to withSIX Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.